Writing Exercise - Home
On Monday, May 13, 2019 we were able to do a writing exercise. For this writing exercise we were given a topic to think about, and this topic was the word, "HOME."
For this writing exercise we where asked to close our eyes and think about what home meant to us. Once we had an idea flowing about what home meant to us, we were asked about the 5 W's and the 1 H: who, what, when, where, why, and how.
For this writing exercise we where asked to close our eyes and think about what home meant to us. Once we had an idea flowing about what home meant to us, we were asked about the 5 W's and the 1 H: who, what, when, where, why, and how.
My personal story about HOME
The first thing I thought about when I thought about home, was my grandparent's cabin in Greenwater Lake, SK. Every one of my aunties, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, and all the dogs we owned were there. During this time we were all laughing, playing, talking, and we were all happy that we were reunited with each other. I could see this story being in my dreams because some of the animals that I thought of have come into this world, and are now gone to a better place. By keeping the memories of all of my family and pets, this will help me cherish every memory, and could possibly see them in my dreams in the future.
From my piece of writing, I could see how taking this into my future classroom could help some of the more shy students express their ideas on pen and paper, rather than have them share out loud. I could see this as the start of writing story (or career for that matter). I could also see this as a chance to have students show themselves what their true priorities are.
Also taking the 5 W's and the 1 H is something that every teacher should ask their students when they are writing about anything. Having the 5 W's and 1 H will help students think about their writing in a more constructive manner. From the writing I created, it helped my think about what I would like to see in my writing in the future, and helped me understand what I would need to see in my future students' writing.
That sounds like a great reflection exercise, I wish I was there that day. I love reflecting and thinking of memories that mean a lot to me.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome Jacob, I find expression is told in many forms and as future educators we find what works for us and our students. I find that I am more into writing, but as I am growing as my own personal growth I am opening up to sharing out allowed more too.
ReplyDeleteThank you for connecting, Jacob! I am also glad the activity was personally beneficial and you saw it as something you could do in a classroom with students. That's what this course will be all about; asking ourselves many times over, how can we best engage our students so that ELA is meaningful and impactful for them! Great job :)
ReplyDelete